Are you both book lovers? Why not consider a book-themed wedding, ensuring your wedding is a wonderful reflection of you both! There are so many elements which can easily be included in your wedding in fun ways. From the decor to the stationery, we will show you lots of ideas for a book-themed wedding.
1) A Simple Book Theme
If you are both all-around book-worms and cannot choose a book that you like more than others, you can choose a general book theme.
Choose an era & style of your favourite books.
- You could incorporate a stack of books with flowers & candles as centrepieces on your tables.
- We also really like to see people building book arches for the ceremony.
- Have a type-writer for guests to type their guest book messages .
- Instead of table numbers, name your tables after your favourite books or famous authors, or just call them ‘Chapter 1′, Chapter 2’, and so on.
- Use library book style cards as escort cards.
- The table plan can be printed on an image of a book or in the form of a book.
- Your Save The Dates and Invitations could have elements of a book.
- Wear a Wedding Dress in the style of one of your favourite book characters.
- You can have the bridesmaids and the flower girls dress in similar styles.
- While the guys can pick up on the gents’ style of the era.
- A library would be a fabulous Wedding Venue for your book-themed wedding.
- Or even introduce some bookcases to the venue to introduce your own library.
2) Harry Potter
Harry Potter is one of the most popular book series of recent History. Chances are, you may even have grown up with the characters. It is such a fun universe to play with, and so easy to include in every part of your Wedding.
A fun idea would be to replicate the Grand Hall of Hogwarts for your Reception Room.
- Hanging candles and keys with wings from the ceiling
- Seating your guests at long tables, with the Professor table at the top as your top table
If you are having an outdoor wedding ceremony, you can style it with stacks of old suitcases, brooms, birdcages, books, and potions. Don’t forget to include the sorting hat somewhere in your decor.
There is a lot you can do in this theme with your stationery.
- The Invitation Suite can be styled around the admission letter to Hogwarts
- Table Numbers could be replaced by the name of locations in the Wizarding World, like Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, Hagrid’s Hut, etc.
- You could use the Marauder’s Map as a seating plan, with each location on the map representing a table.
While getting married in robes might not be ideal, you can add little elements here and there to include your theme in your attire.
- Add a wand in your bridal bouquet
- The Groom could have a badge of a Hogwarts house on his jacket or a tie/bow in the colour of the house.
- Your headpiece could replicate Ravenclaw’s Diadem.
- If you are having a Harry Potter-themed wedding, you have to serve Harry Potter Butter Beers to your guests.
- Another must-have is a candy station similar to the one on the Hogwarts Express with Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans, chocolate frogs, liquorice wands, cauldron cakes, to name but a few.
There are so many inspirational quotes in the Harry Potter books. You have plenty to choose from to incorporate in your vows, your stationery, the readings at the ceremony, or even your decor.
From ‘We can’t choose our fate but we can choose others, be careful in knowing that’ (Dumbledore) to the classic ‘Even after all this time? Always’ (Snape).
It must be a Castle, and of course, an Irish Castle!
3) The Great Gatsby
Be prepared to fall back in the Roaring 20s with a Great Gatsby theme. This is a more subtle book theme. If you want a chic & luxurious wedding style, but want to add a little more fun to it, this is the perfect theme for you.
- The colour palette can be gold, black & white.
- Your ceiling can be decorated with hanging fairy lights. Don’t forget to add a big chandelier in the middle of the room.
- For your table, we suggest black linen with a sparkly gold runner
- And your table centrepieces can be high and include feathers.
This is where the art déco patterns will work really well.
- For the invitation suite and the reception items, such as menus & table numbers, we suggest black paper, with metallic gold writing and art déco patterns.
- Script the seating plan on black paper and display it in a big gold frame.
You might remember this reading from Princess Eugenie’s Royal Wedding. We love it so much! Can be part of your ceremony or even as a message on the menu card or order of service.
“He smiled understandingly – much more than understandingly. It was one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it, that you may come across four or five times in life. It faced – or seemed to face – the whole eternal world for an instant, and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favour. It understood you just as for as you wanted to be understood, believed in you as you would like to believe in yourself, and assured you that it had precisely the impression of you that, at your best, you hoped to convey. Precisely at that point, it vanished – and I was looking at an elegant young rough-neck, a year or two over thirty, whose elaborated formality of speech just missed being absurd. Some time before he introduced himself I’d got a strong impression that he was picking his words with care.”
A luxurious Irish Manor or course! Although you can transform a marquee into the Great Gatsby too!
4) Lord Of The Rings
The Lord of the Rings saga is one that had inspired a lot of people. The author did such a great job creating a whole universe that some even compare it to a religion. Once again, it is such a distinct universe that you can easily integrate it into your wedding.
- To replicate the LOTR universe, use lots of greenery, maybe a little moss too.
- Lanterns can be a fun addition as centrepieces.
- Or you can have tiny wooden doors surrounded by greenery, moss and flowers.
- If your wedding venue has lots of lovely outdoor areas, which can be seen after dark, light it up with fairy lights and lanterns.
- Ultimately, your wedding should have a whimsical medieval vibe to it.
- Everybody knows the specific lettering of LOTR. You definitely need to use it for your stationery.
- Use the map of the universe for the seating plan.
- Your Wedding Dress can have a medieval vibe.
- Rather than wearing a veil, perhaps wear a flowers crown with ivy in it.
- You can also choose a crown/diadem with a metal ivy pattern.
- The groom can take plenty of inspiration from the outfits in from the movies and can even go as far as wearing armour with a sword if he wants to.
This poem from the books is so beautiful that it would be the perfect reading for your Wedding Ceremony.
“When Winter comes, and singing ends, when darkness falls at last;
When broken is the barren bough, and light and about last;
I’ll look for thee, and wait for thee until we meet again;
Together we will take the road beneath the bitter rain.
Together we will take the road that leads into the West;
And far away will find a land where both our hearts may rest.”
A medieval castle in Ireland with an outdoor ceremony in the forest would be perfect.
5) Alice in Wonderland
A fun world to experiment with is the one of Alice in Wonderland. It is the perfect book theme for an over the top whimsical wedding. Alice in Wonderland is a classic and I am willing to bet that everyone has either watch the movie or read the book at least once in their life.
- The Colour Palette can be red, black & white.
- For the reception, we would suggest having a long table, like the Mad Hatter’s on, witch mismatched vintage cutlery and lots of teacups.
- Put clocks, keys & pockets watches everywhere.
- A good idea for a wedding arch for the ceremony would be to have it made of bushes with red and white roses.
- If you can, we would suggest having a giant chessboard.
- You could use playing cards as place cards.
- Don’t forget to add the mention ‘Don’t be late!’ somewhere in your invitation suite, to remind your guests of the rabbit.
- Add labels like ‘Eat Me’ and ‘Drink Me’ for your food and beverage.
- You can either go with the chic & elegant look of Alice herself or with the colourful one of the Mad Hatter and his friends.
- You could wear a black headband like Alice.
- The groom could have a pocket watch in his west and wear a top hat.
- Your bouquet can include red & white roses.
Tea is a must-have when planning an Alice in Wonderland-themed wedding. Perhaps have an afternoon tea during the cocktail reception instead of canape!
A great quote from the Alice in Wonderland book for your wedding vows could be:
“When I used to dream about fairy tales, I never thought I would end up in the middle of one.”
A Garden is ideal with an indoor backup or create the garden indoors.
We hope that this blog will give you lots of great inspiration and ideas for your wedding.
Contact Us To Begin Planning Your Book Themed Wedding !
We acknowledge all the wonderful photographers we work with whose images we have included in this blog, along with images from Pinterest.